Brevard County Florida is home to more than 536,000 residents and approximately 2,510 exempt organizations that include 420 public charities. The public charities include arts and culture groups, community development organizations, religious groups and institutions, educational institutions and groups, environmental and animal groups, health groups, human services, sports and recreational groups, and other public interests.
Connect Brevard provides information on all exempt organizations to assist grant makers and those wishing to volunteer, contribute, and or collaborate with organizations and others dedicated to improving the quality of life in Brevard County.
Summer Feed and Read Program
Date: Tuesdays and Fridays from June 11 until July 30, 2013
Time: 11:00 AM – 1 PM (*There will be some variance per site.)
· Coquina Elementary School, 850 Know McRae Drive in Titusville
· Gibson Youth Center, 835 Sycamore Street in Titusville
· Dr. WJ Creel Elementary School, 2000 Glenwood Drive in Melbourne
· Club Esteem, 3316 S. Monroe Street in Melbourne
· Port Malabar Elementary, 301 Pioneer Avenue NE in Palm Bay
· Three Parks and Recreation Locations in north and central Brevard TBD
Number of Volunteers Needed: 100
Agencies: Participating agencies/organizations include Individual and Corporate Volunteers, Brevard County Parks and Recreation, Brevard County Schools, Children’s Hunger Project, Club Esteem, Face of Change, Gibson Youth Center, Project HUNGER, and United Way.
· Volunteers to assist with the delivery of meals to each of the locations each week
· Volunteers to assist with the distribution of meals and books at each location each week
· Volunteers to read books at each site every week
Community Benefit: The 2013 Summer Feed and Read Program is designed to feed and promote reading for children in low income families in Brevard County. Feeding the mind of young children is important to a child’s development, which affects their competency. The program will be held at certain sites that are income-level based starting June 11th to July 30th on Tuesdays and Fridays. At each site there will be some instruction or literature on nutrition, a meal the children will eat on site, and volunteers who will read a book to the children. Each Child who attends a Feed and Read site will be given a pre-packed bag of food to take home on those days along with an age appropriate book to take home once a week throughout the program.
Planning Needs: Please RSVP to Keith Heinly at email@example.com. Please include the volunteer activity (listed above) you are interested in.
Keith Heinly, Community Impact Manager United Way of Brevard Cell: 321-557-1564 Office: 321-631-2740
Martin Hindsley, Volunteer Coordinator United Way of Brevard Ph.: 321-777-8313
Keith Heinly/ Manager, Community Impact / United Way of Brevard
937 Dixon Blvd., Cocoa, FL 32922 / tel: 321.631.2740 / fax: 321.631.2007 /http://www.uwbrevard.org